2019 - 2022
The project objective is to ensure that fishers, policymakers, researchers, and the general public are aware of existing national legislation regulating fisheries and aquaculture in Mediterranean countries and encourage implementation of sustainable practices for the conservation and management of living marine resources, consistent with such legislation.
A standard methodology is tested and scaled-up at the regional level in relation to the identification, collection, and dissemination of existing laws regulating fisheries and aquaculture in the Mediterranean region. The project seeks to analyze Mediterranean countries' national legislation towards possible amendments and revisions to align their legal and institutional frameworks with the GFCM recommendations.
The central product of this project is the GFCM Regional Repository of National Legislation - GFCM-Lex. By enabling the project stakeholders to access and use GFCM-Lex in various languages, the GFCM ensures the emergence of new strategies promoting best practices and encourages the ongoing transition to sustainable fisheries at the regional level, pursuant to GFCM recommendations. GFCM-Lex also promotes stakeholders’ involvement, allowing them to contribute to its development and constant update.
Objectives / results
- To better understand the linkages between GFCM Recommendations and national frameworks for the conservation and management of marine resources and ecosystems.
- To elaborate and scale up a standard methodology to facilitate the compilation, harmonization, and dissemination of knowledge on national legislation corresponding to GFCM recommendations.
- To analyze and improve the legal and institutional framework at the national level through the replication of the standard methodology in all Mediterranean countries, towards possible amendments and revisions.
- To encourage governments and national administrators in range countries to effectively align their legal frameworks for the management of marine living resources and ecosystems with the GFCM Recommendations.
- To raise awareness and facilitate capacity-building initiatives on marine conservation and sustainable use of marine resources through communication channels, training tools and workshops for relevant actors (administrations, fishers’ organizations, NGOs).
- To disseminate best practices on the management of marine resources and ecosystems in the Mediterranean and promote sustainable fishing practices.
- To share knowledge with partners and promote outreach activities on GFCM-Lex in the Mediterranean region.